Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Beautiful Stuff


This book, Beautiful Stuff, Learning with found Materials, by Cathy Weisman Topol and Lella Gandini (Davis, 1999), is an excellent resource for implementing a recycling materials project in an early childhood classroom. Colorful, inviting photographs document the collecting, sorting, and using of a variety of intriguing and readily available recycled materials. More than just toilet tissue rolls, recycled materials add a wealth of variety and creativity as materials for children's art. Each face, each fish, each representation is unique, because the materials are unique, and an so they are an important language for children. I have implemented a similar project in my preschool, and I do a 'Beautiful Stuff' workshop in my curriculum planning course in my community college early childhood education program. I was recently delighted to meet Cathy when we both presented at a materials conference for teachers, then again at another conference where we both were in attendance. At each conference I heard teacher after teacher express their appreciation for to her for this book.
What a great way for us to model recycling and help save the planet!

No comments: